Rohantime

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Elite series brilliance

Post Re: Elite series brilliance
But it would be quite amusing... And we could post the photos here on Rohantime...

11 Oct 2012 14:23

Dear Tim,

I have a more sedentary lifestyle now than I used to and I find that my circulation doesn't get going so well these days. The US leggings are just perfect if one is not moving about a lot, and not at all conspicuous. I am sitting typing this wearing said leggings under Milestone Cargoes. Toasty.

The idea of stirrups/foot-loops is probably not a runner. More complicated for you to make and not popular with customers, by all accounts. However, I have solved my own problem of grippy trouser materials causing leggings to ride up and that is to put my Rohan socks on over the leggings. Dropping sock tops keep the leggings down, while rising leggings keep socks up. Win, win for me.

I know what it is like to manufacture stuff. In my own experience making even the tiniest of changes to a product has a knock-on effect with advertising and packaging that causes costs to escalate and for this reason alone smaller manufacturers are reluctant to tinker with things. That doesn't take into account lead times and such like. Change can be a slow process. Having said that, maybe, sometime in the future, we might see a re-badging of the Ultra Silver range into the Elite Silver range and then you could incorporate some more colourways into the range at the same time. Just a thought. Ultra Silver certainly has a place in the Elite family.

I hope you didn't take personal exception to my attempts at humour in another post. I will be more sober from now on.

Rider

11 Oct 2012 14:51

Rider - please keep drinking ;o)

Re leggings.

Being of the female persuasion, I do actually wear leggings on a regular basis.

When skiing, I always like to wear leggings under my salopettes as I don't like the feel of the sallies on my skin. Mr Ninja doesn't wear them with his sallies and feels warm enough without that extra layer. Maybe it's a gender thing.

12 Oct 2012 21:44

Earlier Tim said - "The fundamental thinking behind the Elite Windshirt was to supply a supremely light top (it could have been a pullover but they sell less) for the active, lightweight enthusiast"

If you had made an Ether (as that is what I think you meant) in an ultralight pullover you might have sold a lot. The range is full of shirts and not a single windproof pullover, but you opted to use a radical fabric in another shirt.
Imagine a descendant of the Moving on in the Ether fabric, with all the features stripped out, a pure minimalist top, I would have had one in any colour!

14 Oct 2012 22:48

Yes I did mean Ether Windshirt, thanks! It's predecessor was Elite Windshirt. The ultralight pullover top you describe was exactly where we started with the original design concept for this. Unfortunately this type of design - although brilliant - just does not sell in much volume (from us) and I'm at a loss as to why. Any thoughts?

15 Oct 2012 13:10

Reputations (good and bad) tend to hang around for longer than they should, and I think there's quite a few folk who haven't really woken up to the fact that Rohan are back in the game for stuff at the lightweight cutting edge (as opposed to, say, cutting edge easy-care suits) and having not really woken up to that don't come calling when that's what they're after. I suspect the Pinnacle Bibs suffered from that too: ask a notional "typical winter climber" who did good hard shell salopettes and it wouldn't surprise me if Rohan either weren't on the list at all or were a long way down. Same for ultralight wind tops, where it's common knowledge that Montane will sell you one, but folk in the market probably don't follow Rohan's offerings on it much.

How do you get around that? Keep plugging away, I guess... It took years before anyone much would take any waterproofs other than Goretex seriously in the UK, but we got there in the end.

Pete.

15 Oct 2012 17:27

"Unfortunately this type of design - although brilliant - just does not sell in much volume (from us) and I'm at a loss as to why. Any thoughts?"
Make a few, give them to some of the folk on the forum (and some other people too) with the brief to go and do something notable while wearing them.
I have this hot air ballon jump idea............
then write it up.
The Red Bull of tops!

15 Oct 2012 20:55

You're right Pete about it taking a long time to change people's perceptions. Reputations can take years to build or to shake off! It's probably a combination of simply not having enough time to update one's knowledge, combined with a human reluctance to do so. Brands seem to be perpetually on the move and customer perception tends to lag behind. What I've found is that simply having a product is not enough. Pinnacle Bibs have been there for several years now, garnering the occasional positive review (often with a slight note of surprise...) and selling a little. I think to make a large change we'd have to do a lot more product and make a louder noise about it.

16 Oct 2012 09:11

I notice the Ether windshirt has a decent review in TGO this month - for my money the magazine most likely to 'get' this particular garment. Even they struggled. It was up against other windshirts which are really jackets and smock tops and perhaps a better garment to be in that test would have been the Windshadow jacket. I have had a 'windshirt' for years - the often well reviewed Montane Litespeed and and as a pure mountain garment it is one of the best bits of kit I have ever bought. Once you have the basics of a warm layer and waterproofs and boots, an ultralight windproof is the thing you should buy next. Often, especially in ascent, its all I need over a base layer. The Rohan Windshadow offers a really good alternative though. Virtually as windproof as Pertex but styled like more casual jacket and therefore fantastic for travel, as well as performing well enough for out and out mountain use, for only a small weight penalty. The essence of Rohan I guess - mountain performance in a jacket you can wear every day. I have worn mine on the hill over a microgrid and been more than warm enough in conditions that were cold and windy enough to require hat and gloves. It's the first thing that goes in my travel bag. Where I use the ether windshirt is as a travel and/change, rather than for mountain use if I am honest. Coupled with the ether trousers you have possibly the lightest change of clothes ever devised! I think people just struggle a bit to see how they would use it and at its original price seemed like a lot of money for 'another shirt' . I have seldom seen the windshadow jacket reduced and indeed it was in short supply when it first launched, I think that makes my point -people could immediately see how that would work for them. Conventional sometimes wins I guess. Perhaps on this occasion the ether windshirt was 'too mountainy' for your travel and everyday customers and 'not mountainy' enough for your outdoor customers?

16 Oct 2012 15:18

Just to add to the conversation. I have enjoyed wearing the Spark vest but as the weather has become colder my alleigance is to the Ice pack Vest. I love it! Light weight and snuggly warm!

04 Nov 2012 17:25
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next