Rohantime

Elite series brilliance

Post Elite series brilliance
Dear Tim,

Over the past two weeks I've been wearing the newly released Spark Vest in a variety of circumstances; chilly mornings in central London to icy winds cutting across the Chilterns. I can conclude that the versatility and effectiveness of this garmet is quite brilliant. Adding a Windshadow jacket as an outer layer is a winning combination - just enough, just what's needed...

I certainly hope it sells well and that more products of this type might be considered. Clip on arms and hood did cross my mind, and I do miss the packing pouch (which would probably be about the size of an apple).

Best regards,
DB

22 Mar 2012 18:27

Post Re: Elite series brilliance
Hello again DB. Thanks! The Spark Vest has to be one of my most favourite Rohan garments. It is based on a prototype that I had made yonks ago. Once I'd found, like you, just how brilliant it was I had to get it into the range. I have to say that sales are ok but not brilliant, but don't worry we're sticking with it. This is one of those typical Rohan garments that reveals just how useful it is once you've got it, rather than having an obvious appeal to most people immediately. Thanks for this - do feel free to continue spreading the word! A jacket version would be great, I agree, but detachable arms would have to be zipped and the weight would creep up; the key point with Spark is how light it is for the warmth it gives. We also debated the packpocket or lack of it - or a stuffsack. Anyway we are where we are and we're all delighted it's in the range. Best regards, Tim

23 Mar 2012 17:12

Hello Tim,

I, too, would like to sing the praises of the Spark vest and add my voice to the request for a Spark jacket. No need for zips, just add arms. Very pleased to hear the news that Spark will enjoy some continuity.

The Elite range is truly fabulous. I picked up an Ether Windshirt last week and am very impressed with it. It is surprisingly warm for such thin material. Please can we have it made again in a nicer colour (there I go on about colour again) but to wear such a garment it is nice to have items that "go" with it colour wise. The only item of clothing I have in my wardrobe that goes with the ghastly mud brown of the Ether Windshirt is the rather muddy green that was Loden in the Bags range. Couldn't have the Ether trousers as you didn't make them in 30 waist. And, while I am on the subject of Ether Windshirt, why was the zip pocket not made into a packpocket? Hold on, I haven't finished yet. I also find the collar, when poppered into it's high position against wind is not snug enough round the neck. The one half of the popper could be moved by 10mm to make a tighter fit.

Meanwhile, back at the website, I notice under the Elite series banner you have listed the Ultra Silver T, Crew and Trunks but not the new leggings while the Merino leggings put in, an appearance (Have you considered using foot loops to keep the leggings from riding up the calf, by the way?) but not the Merino top. None of which are badged as Elite, including the Microgrid tops.

OK, you can answer now.

08 Oct 2012 17:14

I think fair play to go on about the colour Rider. The reason (singular) I didn't get an Ether Windshirt was the colour. Much as it's The Done Thing to go on about form over function etc. etc., it's just an awfully dull colour. I make exceptions from time to time, especially when the price is especially right, but I've always been glad I waited for the Windshadow to appear in a decent shade of blue rather than the original Stealth/Eco-Stealth shades of drab.

If it must be grey, at least a pale grey like "Classic 80s Airlight Grey"...

Pete.

09 Oct 2012 09:36

Here's some thoughts on your feedback and questions, Rider. Spark: thanks for the support on this garment. There is a relentless force on product which is to do with how well they sell. Because of this Spark will not be developed into a jacket sadly - and I agree it would be great - and indeed I can foresee a time when Spark Vest is no longer in the range. We simply have other priorities. Interestingly - and perhaps oddly - the current Dale Jacket was a Spark Jacket when we first thought of it. Clearly now it is a very different beast, because we intentionally made it look more like a paddock jacket - and we did this because that way we sell more overall. But, it you look past the aesthetic it is exactly the same fabrics and insulation as the Spark Vest. But it does have a zip... This may seem weird but it's how things sometimes evolve.
Ether: thanks for the detail suggestions on the windshirt. The colour choice on this yarn is extremely limited because it is so special. It is currently not possible for us to have our own colour - which emphasises how rarified this particular fabric development was. Pete - here's your answer too. Maybe this will change as we go forward. The other colour available was a sickly beige which we thought was worse! Good spot about the presentation on the website of stuff that should companion Elites. What do you think of the idea of Ultra Silver Leggings bytheway? No one is buying them yet! I'm not a big fan of footloops on the whole - many folk find them a bit intrusive - though that never stopped Ronhill Tracksters did it?? All the best, Tim

09 Oct 2012 10:09

Thanks for the support over the colour, Pete. I can think of no other reason why the Ether Windshirt went to the souk so quickly. Maybe Tim will enlighten us to the Rohan thought processes over this product. For example, what do Rohan consider to be it's main usage? It's a shirt that can protect against wind, but not in the summer with that colour. It's an autumn colour, or one that is useful for blending into the scenery while badger tickling, trout slapping or duck wrestling (preferably at night.) Whatever country pursuit turns you on. Personally, I prefer to have a good walk while avoiding at all costs trying to look like a member of the local faschist party. Next time you are near a shop that sells tweeds take a look at the wonderful range of greens they produce. Now that's how to blend in.

09 Oct 2012 12:45

Thank you for your reply, Tim.

It sounds like Ether will disappear into the Aether. Sad, really, when you went to all that trouble in the first place. Makes me even more gladerer I bought it.

Not true that nobody is buying the leggings. I did. And I like them. And I think footloops would be a plus. Scenario- feeling chilly- think, I'll put my leggings on- put on leggings- put on trousers over leggings- leggings grip trousers (or vice versa) and ride up calves slightly- think, that's not comfortable, I'll bend down grip hem of leggings and pull them down again- find out in real world this doesn't work as it is akin to pulling oneself up by one's own bootstraps. Doh!

09 Oct 2012 13:43

I agree with the comments on the Spark vest, had one since they first came out last year, and have found it great. The reason I signed on to RT today was to see if a jacket was in the offing..... Oh well.... never mind.

If we can't have a Spark jacket, then would you consider a less ' county gent' look for a Dale jacket - perhaps a 'high hills' version?

BW,
Scotty

09 Oct 2012 16:34

Tim:
"What do you think of the idea of Ultra Silver Leggings bytheway? No one is buying them yet!"

I fancy them with the long-sleeved US top for wearing in the sleeping bag for winter camping. They are very tactile. But if Mr Ninja and I buy them, it'll be £33 x 4 items - rather pricy for jim-jams.

Rider:
"It's an autumn colour, or one that is useful for blending into the scenery while badger tickling, trout slapping or duck wrestling" - thanks for the 'post of the week' for me.

09 Oct 2012 22:14

Dear Tim,

Thank you for the back story on the ill fated Ether Windshirt. A choice between Grunge Brown and Sickly Beige. They're not paying you enough, mate. What can I say but - good call! I'll stop complaining and just wear the shirt at night.

Rider

09 Oct 2012 23:57