Rohantime

Bags - a bouquet, and the zip-fly - a brickbat

Post Bags - a bouquet, and the zip-fly - a brickbat
My wife and I have been buying Bags ever since we first visited Rohan at Long Preston getting on for 40 years ago whilst on holiday near Skipton. I thought that LP was the company HQ - Sarah Howcroft's article in the August newsletter suggests otherwise: it doesn't seem credible that it was that long ago. However, on entering the shop, where were all the products? Paul Howcroft came bounding down into the showroom from upstairs and, with a showman's flourish, pressed a switch causing a number of roller blinds to raise and reveal that season's range.
The original pair of Bags bought on that visit, when beyond the day that they looked half respectable out of doors, became first home decorating wear, and were then cut down to make gardening shorts. I now regret not keeping them.
However, a bouquet for a fantastically wearable product over all those years.
But one niggle. On two of the last three pairs bought, the zip fly has failed. They were bought probably a year apart from each other. My feeling is that the zip is too skinny/skimpy/delicate (can't think of the appropriate adjective) for the purpose, but could these have come from a less than adequate production run? I note that elsewhere in one of the forums you sing the praises of YKK zips, but I have had this make fail on other outdoor garments over recent years and am not entirely convinced.

09 Sep 2012 16:13

Post Re: Bags - a bouquet, and the zip-fly - a brickbat
Hi kenearney. Many thanks for posting your reminiscences about LP. Yes we're based in Milton Keynes these days - Paul and Sarah's "fault" actually, and I'd much rather be in Yorkshire! As far as defective fly zips go I'm very surprised you had this experience. There is a very slight chance this was a defective batch but that is unlikely I would say. Although visually "slender" these little coil zips are actually among the toughest made, so this is pretty unusual. YKK are the biggest and the best zip supplier in my opinion. I've tried almost everybody! Honestly, the stories I could tell you about some other zip suppliers... They cost a lot more than many and take a long time to be delivered but the reliability is second to none, we have found. I'm surprised that you've had a series of fails on this. Thanks for getting in touch and all best wishes, Tim

13 Sep 2012 14:11

Thanks for your reply Tim. Just thought I should add that it was the fabric of the zips that failed, not the mechanism itself.
(Also realised that the HQ is now MK - I meant that I was unaware that the first HQ was Skipton way back then, and not LP.
Regards
Ken E

14 Sep 2012 19:02

Aha, that's interesting. Yes I guess a softer fabric is more likely to fail than a plastic or metal mechanism - given that it was well-made in the first place. I think YKK remain the best and most reliable - but we are always monitoring this. Best wishes, Tim

18 Sep 2012 16:23

The RiRi fly-zips on my early bags were metal. I don't recall any of them failing.

24 Oct 2013 17:54

That reminds me. Back in the 70s I joined a sub-aqua club whilst working with the Admiralty at Portland and made my own wet-suit - I think the name of the kit maker was Dolphin - and they insisted that the ONLY zips in that world were RiRi.

27 Oct 2013 23:24