Rohantime

shorts, heat and water

Post shorts, heat and water
Looking through the current shorts range and we have Escapers and Troggings offerings with a DWR coating, and I'm trying to work out why I'd want that rather than DMC.

If I'm wearing shorts then it is probably a warm day, and if it's a warm day the thing I'm most likely to want is heat control. DWR will stop sweat soaking through easily to evaporate, and helps protect me from water, which is mainly a problem because it makes one colder... but on a warm day that's not so much of an issue.

I'd be interested to know what the design idea was here.

I like Stretch Bags with DMC, a DWR alternative might be an interesting option for UK hillwalkers as long trousers suggest not quite so warm, where rain is more of a cooling problem.

(And can we get Stretch Bags shorts please, in traditionally short Bags Shorts shortness (and preferably the original shorter length rather than the current ones) and not down to the knees like the Escapers?)

Pete.

24 Jan 2018 10:36

Post Re: shorts, heat and water
Hi pjclinch

Thank you for your post.

We are always keen to receive customer feedback and I was interested to read your comments on the Escaper and Trogging shorts.

The Escapers have a high wicking fabric and the troggings are also a breathable garment for comfort in warm weather. However, it was felt that the shorts may benefit from DWR to protect the wearer from light showers. The Escapers are particularly suited to cycling and if caught in a shower, wet shorts will cling to your legs causing discomfort and there is also some protection from road spray.

Our current stretch bags offer DMC and I will pass your comments regarding a DWR alternative to our Design team for their consideration. I was interested to see your suggestion for a pair of Stretch Bag shorts in the shorter length and will also pass this suggestion to Design. All feedback is logged and where we receive several similar requests that would make manufacture viable this is then looked into further.

Thank you again for your post and if we can be of further assistance please get back in touch.

Best wishes
Laura
Customer Services

30 Jan 2018 16:10

I can't say I'm completely convinced. It always struck me that one of the points of DWR was to stop water soaking in to fibres and travelling along them as wicks... in other words, take a good wicking fabric and give it a DWR coat, and it becomes a rather less good wicking fabric (and where not wicking rain back to you is what you want that's great, but in a pair of shorts where rain protection is somewhat compromised by the bottom half of the garment not being there...)

Similarly, that the Troggings fabric is breathable isn't really an issue, as that's about ability for air/vapour to pass through it which won't be affected by the coating. What I'd like in shorts is for liquid sweat to be able to soak in and dissipate.

If you do extend the range with Stretch Bags Shorts I'd definitely want them with a DMC coat and not DWR.

Pete.

12 Feb 2018 11:00

Dear Pete,

Thank you for getting back to us.

Having spoken to our Design Team regarding this, the main reason we use DWR on our shorts, including the Escapers and our Trogging Shorts, is to offer water resistance from summer showers.

As advised by Laura, our Escapers in particular are designed to be a highly active style, being lightweight and stretchy, however also offer protection from rain, mud or spray.

Our Trogging Shorts on the other hand have a brushed lining, offering thermal protection, and a DWR for added water resistance, which may be more suitable in the Autumn Season.

You may find of interest our Tour Shorts, being made of 100% polyamide fabric, and featuring DMC, as well as a handy little D ring. I have included the link to this style below.
https://www.rohan.co.uk/mens-travel-and ... ent-Shorts

As you have correctly advised, DWR is an outer finish applied to the fabric, causing water droplets to bead off the garment. This shouldn’t affect either the breathability or wicking abilities of the fabric itself.

That said, please be assured that your comments have been passed over to our Designers.

Please do get back in touch if we can be of any further assistance and once again, thank you for your comments.

Best Wishes,
Beth
Customer Services

14 Feb 2018 17:09

The Tour Shorts... I like the fact that they're DMC rather than DWR, but I have no use for thigh pockets unless I'm doing DIY up ladders and there remains a problem fundamental in most modern shorts styles which is they're not actually very short! That's a lot of why I like older Bags Shorts as much as I do (though I realise I'm out of step with fashion here, and ultimately you're trying to make money). The only downside for me with my collection of Bags Shorts is they don't have built in stretch.

(Thermal protection, I think I'll just wear trousers or tights!)

Pete.

17 Feb 2018 17:04