Rohantime

What’s the oldest piece of outdoor gear you still use?
Site Admin

Post What’s the oldest piece of outdoor gear you still use?
We have been discussing this on our Facebook page and on Rohantime
Not just Rohan any brand. tents rucksacks boots stoves anything
Somebody on Facebook suggested their legs!
http://rohantime.com/53336/whats-the-ol ... still-use/

02 Jan 2015 20:04

Post Re: What’s the oldest piece of outdoor gear you still use?
I'm still wearing the Fulmar jacket I bought from the Hale store circa 1994. It still looks and performs as well today as it did from day one. I'm guessing cost per wear will be in the fraction on a pence by now.

05 Dec 2015 23:42

Still using a pair of winter bags from the late eighties, just decided it was time to upgrade to a new pair!

20 Feb 2016 22:56

It has to be my finelight shirt bought years ago, in the 1980's I believe

16 Jun 2016 14:39

My Finelight shirts (ca. '90) finally got thrown last year: they were still holding together okay, but they were more or less transparent.

My ME Thermofleece jacket is still in use (bought in '85, one of my first bits of "proper" outdoor gear) but is relegated to gardening and outside DIY/bike mechanic stuff.

My oldest gear still used for original purpose are my Scarpa Fitzroy winter leather boots. Thanks to Yeti gaiters (now the 3rd set) keeping the uppers in good condition, a sole replacement and less use in recent years (tend to be in telemark boots in the snow these days) they're still in very good order, and will be 30 this summer. My ice axe (a Mountain Tech curver) is probably a year or so younger.
My Trangia stove was a 21st present from my brother. I'll be 50 later this year... Only slightly younger is my expedition rucksack, a Lowe Kantega, still going strong (it had a trip back to Lowe at 17 years for some minor TLC). My dad still uses the smaller Berghaus Delta the Lowe replaced (bought along with the ME fleece), and the F&T 3 season sleeping bag I had along with the Trangia. His Saunders Spacepacker Plus tent dates from the back end of the 80s too, and is also going strong.

Pete.

18 Jun 2016 20:19